- Exhibitions / Events
- Planned exhibitions / Special exhibitions
- Planned Exhibition “The Treasures of Ryushoji Temple, Famous Temples of Mino―A World of Ancient Documents and Buddhist Paintings―”
Planned Exhibition “The Treasures of Ryushoji Temple, Famous Temples of Mino―A World of Ancient Documents and Buddhist Paintings―”
Exhibition period: September 17 (Sat) – October 30 (Sun), 2022
Kikkosan Ryushoji Temple is located in Gifu City’s Nishinosho district. It’s an ancient, Buddhist temple of the Jodo sect founded in the 14th century, during the Nanbokucho period. According to temple legend, it was founded by the Buddhist priest, Chitsu, after Emperor Go-Kogon and his chief officer, Yoshimoto Nijo, converted to the Jodo faith. After this, Ryushoji Temple was run while maintaining close ties with the emperor, the Nijo family, Oda Nobunaga, and the Tokugawa Shogun family, etc. This part of history can be gleaned from one of the most impressive collections of ancient documents in Gifu Prefecture. Additionally, among accumulated Buddhist paintings are valuable works that date back to the Kamakura period and the Nanbokucho period. Visitors can unearth a piece of Gifu’s history, from the Middle Ages to early-modern times, by taking a look through Ryushoji Temple’s treasures.
|Event period||September 17 (Sat) – October 30 (Sun), 2022
* Some of the objects on display are changed during the exhibition.
* Event periods and contents are subject to change or may be cancelled due to the spread of COVID-19.
|Closed||Every Monday (open September 19, October 10), September 20 (Tuesday), October 11 (Tuesday)|
|Hours of operation||9:00 am–5:00 pm (Entry until 4:30 pm)|
|Venue||Special exhibition room on the 1st floor of Gifu City Museum of History|
310 yen (250 yen) for high school and up; 150 yen (90 yen) for elementary/junior high school students
* Discounted prices in parentheses are for groups of 20 or more.
* Free admission for those who apply to ①and ② below. (ID/proof required)
① Gifu-City residents of age 70 or older
② Holders of physical disability certificate, mental disability certificate, rehabilitation certificate, or medical care recipient certificate for intractable diseases and one attendant
③ Junior high school students and younger visitors, and accompanying family members (of high school students and older) on September 18 (Sun) and October 16 (Sun)
④ Elementary / Junior high school students in Gifu City
- We take measures to stop the spread of COVID-19. Depending on the crowd size, we may restrict the number of admissions. We would appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
Main Exhibition Works
Gifu Prefecture-designated cultural propertyTaima Mandala
First year of the Kanno era (1350), owned by Ryushoji Temple
Oda Nobunaga Kokuinjo (black-sealed letter)
Muromachi period, 16th century, owned by Ryushoji Temple
- Oda Nobunaga Kokuinjo (black-sealed letter)
Toyotomi Hideyoshi Shuinjo
Azuchi-Momoyama period, 16th century, owned by Ryushoji Temple
- Toyotomi Hideyoshi Shuinjo
Painting of two dragons (a section)
Drawn by Kano Tanshin Morimasa, Edo period, 17th century, owned by Ryushoji Temple
- Painting of two dragons (a section)